Become part of our team
Purpose of the role
APSI is a small privately owned company that, after a phase of growth, is transforming its finance function. We are organised into four teams: Management, Client Services, Client Success, and Delivery. The delivery team largely delivers remotely/virtually to our clients across speaking, training, advisory and analytic product sets.
The Finance Manager will report to the Head of Operations and join the Client Success team. This new and crucial role has been created to help transform the finance function of the business to ensure that financial data is accurate and available to those who need it on a self-serve basis. This role is an opportunity for the right person to bring their expertise to our finance function as we transform from entering data from tracking spreadsheets into financial software to direct data entry and API integration with other systems, quality assurance, and centralised, transparent reporting that supports the flow of information from the client services pipeline conversions into high-quality delivery.
The key responsibilities are core accounting functions, including bookkeeping:
- Accounting process improvement with the addition of APS-led data entry, Quality Assurance, Governance and automation using Xero
- Integration of Xero with
- CRM (expected H1 2023)
- a platform for issuing contracts with proposals/quotes
- a mechanism for scheduling and reconciling revenue delivery to clients
- PO system
- Success for all of these will be assessed by the quality of implementation and adoption/utilisation by all relevant colleagues
- Overall responsibility for PAYE Payroll (partially delegated to line mangers through a HR payment platform) and staff benefits
- Work with invoicing and credit control to perpetuate extremely low late payor/ bad debt levels
- Preparation of quarterly VAT Returns
- Cash Flow: Manage cash flow and monthly revenue recognition
- Assist the external Accountancy team in preparation of annual Financial Statements and Corporation tax return
- Costs management: review and report on costs, identifying and implementing opportunities to reduce and eliminate unnecessary costs
- Financial Reporting: Lead the preparation of the monthly management accounts including P&L; balance sheet and reporting on monthly variances
- Financial Forecasting: Sales pipeline and cash flow forecasts
- Annual budgets: Preparation of annual budgets and any RnD investments
- Work cross-functionally with the Client Success Team to solve problems and run existing processes to support in times of high demand
Skills, knowledge and characteristics
- 3+ Years’ Experience in Practice as a Qualified or In-training Accountant
- Knowledge of Xero Accounting System from data entry through to management reporting
- Good Excel skills, including competence with macros/pivot tables
- Good social, communication and negotiation skills
- Commercially focused: ability to support the growth of a business from a financial perspective
- Autonomous: ability to work and grow with light touch guidance on the what rather than the how
- Proactive mentality: identifying and ameliorating risks, improving processes and overcoming challenges
- To be able to work under pressure to tight deadlines in a team
- MS Office literate – Excel/Word/Outlook
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Highly organised and process-driven
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate across the business effectively
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written English
- Self-starter/working under own direction
- Adaptable to new challenges
- Effective problem-solving
- Brand matching written communication skills
- Plays to win whilst playing well with others
About APS Intelligence
APS Intelligence is a strategic advisory firm that specialises in organisational psychology. We work with a diverse array of large domestic and multinational clients to solve workplace challenges – leadership, internal communications, teaming, culture, inclusion and more – that impact organisational performance. We foster organisational change using evidence-led methodology to solve intractable People problems.
APS Intelligence is a dedicated and cross-disciplinary team of experts from different branches of psychology, education and business, who deliver interventions to our clients that are based on the best critical thinking and current psychological and organisational research.
APS Intelligence is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes prospective colleagues from across the entire spectrum of protected categories and other diverse perspectives. We do not believe that any role has an inherent, ‘designated demographic’.
APS Intelligence operates a flexible working system, whereby most work will be completed remotely alongside regular, face-to-face time for teaming and other essential activities. For this role it is regularly expected that 2 days a week will be on-location in or near the APS Intelligence Central London office.
APS Intelligence works in the UK, mainland Europe and across the United States and this role will at times be asked to accompany the Founder on the occasional international work trip.
How we work
We operate in an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ capacity, meaning that each of us stays connected to the work being performed by all, and contributions are welcome and expected. The collaboration will remain a constant feature of how we operate, and your input will be sought after.
Everyone at APS is expected to want to evolve in terms of professional development and role scope. And to foster the development of others including the provision of leadership and induction support to new and junior staff; to support the whole team in becoming familiar with our services, and how we win. If the successful applicant makes a remarkable contribution, they will be offered the opportunity to join a management or leadership team.
We are a small, but a fierce organisation that is on a rapid growth trajectory. Personal development is a core element of our client work, and our own internal mantra. When not in situ with clients, our working environment is relaxed and casual. Due to the ongoing public health situation, all work is remote until future notice.
We offer an employee pension scheme and Bank Holidays plus 25 days of holiday per year (pro-rated for part-time employees). All APS employees sign the EU working time exception.
To apply for this role
Send your CV and a cover letter (2 A4 sides max) by Monday 7th November 2022 to Eve Osborne